Saturday 8 October 2011

Runners with a Cause

Tomorrow Liverpool has it's own Marathon for the first time ever. I am sure everybody will have their own reason for running in this, some will be runners moving themselves up to the next phase of their running -   setting themselves a challenge:  others will be those that compete in marathons for sheer fun of it. Others have their stories to tell about why they are running in the Marathon in the first place... two people very close to me have these stories to tell. Both of them are people that I look up to
Ped's Story : This week it will be 10 years since I first met my husband Peter, or as everybody knows him Ped. In May this year he found out that his sister Jayne has Lymphoma which is a blood cancer.  We were all shocked and horrified when we heard this.  When I found out I went sick inside and went home and cried. Nobody would blame Ped for doing the same - However he decided to do something positive - to support not only Jayne but to put two fingers to to Maggie. Ped was  not a runner but for three months he has worked his behind off training to compete in this marathon and raise funds for Leukemia Care. Jayne is doing brilliant always, positive and has a smile on her face - knocking "Maggie" out as we call her and she is winning. Maggie is no match for Jayne!   Both of them are an inspiration.
Jayne and Ped in Benfica 
Paddy's Story : Paddy is my little brother - although you would think he was my older brother - he definately is much more sensible, clever and I look up to him like he is my big brother. He has always helped me out and supported me when times get tough. One of the toughest times we have both ever faced is loosing our mum. I can remember my mum telling me in April 1995 that she had Breast Cancer. I felt like I had been smacked across the face and knocked out. Breast Cancer to me is one of the worst Cancers you can get - It's nasty and cruel and it spreads.  My poor Mum got over it initially and was and still is my heroine - she did it with dignity and pride and I was amazed how well she coped and faced up to it. Unfortunately it can back four years later. Not just in the Breast but all over and when we were told she literally had two weeks left to live, we leant of each other to try and cope, to help our Dad and our little Sister as well. Paddy has also lost a very good friend Andy to Cancer in 2007, both my mum and Andy were in their 40's. Our Uncle Pat in Ireland has suffered with Blood Cancer the past couple of years and he like Jayne is doing so well. Paddy has been wanting to do a marathon for years and now its his chance to run in one. Not only with Ped, but Anna, my sister in law who has also lost her mum to this horrible disease. Anna is also running the marathon and is equally as brave - she has had a whole host of injuries in training but sheer determination as driven her on to take part tomorrow.
All three of them have raised in excess of 3k for Cancer Charities - they have turned the worst thing in the world into doing something positive, raising not only money to help find a cure but they are putting themselves through one of the toughest things they have ever been through Physically to do this


Me and Paddy at Wembley
Ped and Paddy are both my heroes for doing this. I can only stand by and watch them and cheer them on tomorrow and I will be doing so with admiration. We are all so proud of you both for putting yourselves through this but what a personal achievement it will be. We are all so very proud of you.

If you would like to donate to their fundraising their links are below

Ped Leukaemia Care  and Paddy Howlin Cancer Research
Also Anna Howlin Cancer Research

I have to dedicate this blog post to my Mum who will be cheering on I am sure from a cloud watching over us. She would be so very, very proud

Christine Howlin 1950-1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Colours

Every so often you come across a story, that makes you feel hopeful.  A tale that makes you realize  that for all the horrible things going ...