Friday 2 September 2011

The best little Spaniard I knew

I am not a fan of transfer deadline day.By now you will know I am about as Blue as they get and being an Evertonian is what I can only describe as "Character Building"  - it is certainly not the easy option but hey as Lady Gaga sings "I was born that way" and a blue I will stay. Getting back to the point, I don't like transfer deadline day and  Everton are totally skint  : therefore I didn't expect any nice surprises for any signings - if anything I thought we would get a loan deal at the most. I had heard about Yakubu and Beckford probably going early in the day but that was it. I was out that night at a craft workshop in Leaf in Liverpool  happily making leather cuffs with my younger sister - (funny enough I took up crafts as a form of stress relief) . Anyway there was I all happy to be picked up by Ped, who informed me Arsenal had put an offer in for Arteta.. but it was off and then on the way home I heard it was back on. Boom!! I wasn't expecting that - he was one of my favorite players (at the moment they are Cahill, Arteta and Coleman) and I really hoped he wouldn't go. There was an image of him arriving at the Park End in his car and my heart sank, he was going I was sure, but I just hoped he wouldn't. Finally after much excitement from Sky News pundits, it was announced he had gone. I am not ashamed to say that I cried and I don't care what anybody thinks of me, I wear my heart on my sleeve with a lot of things, but I bloody love Everton and those players that give me something to smile about share a special place in my heart, so for one of my favorites to go,so quickly and without warning was a shock to the system.
The next day I moped about quite a bit (not as much as when we sold Rooney though, that went on for a good few days) and I was moaning in work to anybody who wanted to listen how fed up I was and how we had sold a good player and we cant afford to do that. I also moaned about how when me and Ped went to the players lounge as a wedding gift I refused to have my picture took with him because I felt too ugly next to him. Then last night in bed I remembered, I had! At the end of the season my little nephew and Ped were waiting in the car park to get autographs and when I turned up Artera was on his way to his car - this photo is awful and I look dreadful on it, Ped's phone had a weird floaty bit of plastic that is over Mikel's face but I am glad he took it

It's now Friday and I am feeling a bit better, I can understand what a lot of other blues are saying about him not being the same player the past few years etc but at the end of the day, I get attached and so I am gutted. 
My best memory of Arteta will be for a goal he scored against Florintina at Goodision in 2008 : I literally felt like I  held my breath from when his boot touched the ball, only to exhale as it landed in the Street End goal. It is moments like that, which sum up what being a blue is about. It was this goal I thought about on Wednesday at 11:00pm 
Thanks Mikel, you really were the best little Spaniard I knew 




No comments:

Post a Comment

True Colours

Every so often you come across a story, that makes you feel hopeful.  A tale that makes you realize  that for all the horrible things going ...